Night air quality monitor for child respiratory issues (at high RH)

Hi @Guilherme,

Thanks for the update!

I’m glad you found this! Yes, they can be dimmed or even disabled if you want.

Interesting findings! I am surprised, however, that the CO2 concentration really didn’t decrease much at all until around 3:30 am. However, it makes sense if there are only tiny holes in the shutter.

I know how hard it is to balance outdoor pollution and conditions (like temperature), but this is the reason I almost always sleep with at least one window open (even if just slightly) now. I’ve found that decreasing the CO2 concentration from < 2000 ppm to less than 1000 has vastly improved my sleep quality. However, this isn’t always possible if you’re running AC or heating due to outdoor conditions. My wife has also noticed a massive difference in sleep quality (and cognitive performance) so now she will also insist we always have a window at least slightly open.

I would love to hear more about this once you receive the outdoor air quality monitor, as I wonder how bad (or good) outdoor air quality is where you live. Based on how this graph is inverse to the CO2 graph, I believe your conclusion that the outdoor PM2.5 concentration is worse is spot on.

I think this is where having an outdoor monitor will really help you. It makes it much clearer to know when opening a window is a benefit or detriment.

This is particularly interesting. You are right in that VOCs can influence CO2 measurements from NDIR sensors, however, CO2 should not greatly impact metal-oxide semiconductor readings (which the SGP40 is). Also, the NDIR sensor should not be impacted much at all unless the VOC concentration is very high. In fact, from what I’ve read, the S8 should have little to no sensitivity to VOCs, and the SGP40 should not be significantly influenced by CO2. As such, I would say that you do actually have a source of VOCs in the room.

It sounds like you’re already very aware of the relative nature of VOC sensors, but this post explains the Sensirion index in more detail:

Luckily, on AirGradient monitors you can change the baseline calibration period to 720 hours (look under ‘place’ settings), meaning it is far more useful than a sensor that adjusts every 24 hours.

One thing to consider here is that humans exhale trace amounts of VOCs. While a very small amount, they can accumulate over time, and this could explain the increase if no other VOC sources are present. While the increase would be relatively small (I would think), it may be that your usual VOC levels are so low that a 500 index reading is possible. To test this, I would try putting the monitor in the room (without people) and completely close the room so there is no ventilation. Does the VOC index still increase? If so, there is another source that you might want to look into - if there is nothing obvious, I would guess it is off-gassing.

Does your purifier have a carbon filter? If not, it won’t decrease VOCs, only particles.

I only just read this now, but I think what I mentioned above may be the case. Humans can exhale some VOCs. For example, we exhale acetone and isoprene (among others) and this could build up enough to trigger the SGP40 if there is no ventilation. Since you’ve already tried the empty room experiment, I think this is likely the reason for your increasing VOCs at night.

These are all really interesting findings. Thanks so much for sharing!