IKEA Air Quality Monitors - Are They Worth it?

Since IKEA entered the air quality monitoring field a couple of years ago, its two air quality monitors have generated a lot of interest. In fact, I think they’ve made the biggest splash out of any air quality monitors I’ve reviewed on my website, and even today, they continue to generate interest.

I’ve already reviewed the $15 IKEA Vindriktning and $49 IKEA Vindstyrka air quality monitors on my website, but here I wanted to make a bit of a summary discussing the lineup of IKEA air quality monitors overall. If you’re interested in the full reviews, you can find them below:

Let’s get started and look at the IKEA air quality monitors side by side.

IKEA Vindriktning: $15, no connectivity, no screen, measures PM2.5.

IKEA Vindstyrka: $49, WiFi connectivity (through DIRIGERA Hub), large screen, measures PM2.5, VOCs, temperature and relative humidity.

While both of these monitors are very affordable for what they offer, I think almost everyone will be wondering more about the $15 IKEA Vindriktning as the price makes it so much more affordable than any other PM2.5 monitor on the market - as long as it’s accurate.

Unfortunately, the monitor falls flat because it underreports PM2.5 concentrations and only shows the concentration through a coloured LED bar on the front of the device, which is not only very lenient in terms of what it considers ‘good’ air quality but also has very limited colours. The sensor itself is acceptable and can identify trends, but in a future monitor, an offset or correction algorithm needs to be in place. Furthermore, the bar needs to be replaced by a small screen that shows an absolute concentration (even if this leads to the price going up to $20 or $25) or at least a better system that can better convey information.

I really want to love this cheaper monitor because I see so much potential for it to break down the most significant two barriers that currently exist in air quality monitoring - the knowledge gap (people not knowing air quality monitors exist or if they’re needed, but seeing a monitor in IKEA instantly means thousands more people will see it) and the price. I also think there is a lot of potential in a version 2 device that addresses these issues because of the foundation there.

So, how about the more expensive IKEA Vindstyrka air quality monitor? Well, I think this one is much better. For $49, it’s still about the cheapest air quality monitor you can purchase that comes with quality components - in this case, a Sensirion SEN54, which is a good sensor that measures PM2.5, VOCs, temperature and humidity. It’s also an improvement over the SEN44 found in the more pricey Amazon Smart Air Quality Monitor.

When I reviewed this monitor, I used it only as a standalone device (with no smart home integration), and even then, I gave it a four-star rating as it’s a decent air quality monitor with an accurate sensor at an exceptionally low price. No one outside of a massive manufacturer could negotiate such low sensor and component prices to offer such a compelling package at a price like this. Even the Amazon monitor, which is worse in almost every regard, is significantly more expensive.

What makes this IKEA air quality monitor far better is the better sensor and screen (which means the monitor can actually show absolute PM values) and the (still) very low price. While it’s not quite $15, the $15 monitor is nearly useless, whereas, for $49, you can get a decent monitor that really has no competition. Of course, it’s not perfect, and when I first reviewed the monitor, I wasn’t a fan of the relative VOC arrow system (although I’ve now learnt more about this, I’m still not a fan of the arrows), among other minor gripes.

However, I think this monitor is a great generation one device, and I hope IKEA becomes more involved in air quality monitors. Version two of both devices could be absolutely fantastic, and I, for one, really hope they made enough sales to justify more low-cost monitors that allow more people to monitor their indoor air quality!