Night air quality monitor for child respiratory issues (at high RH)

For what it’s worth, I agree with your assessment of having a CO2 sensor. I am not a fan of indoor air quality monitors that lack this important sensor (unless you also have a dedicated CO2 monitor). Having a CO2 sensor is even more important if you work from home, as we both do!

I don’t think a radon sensor is essential unless you are in a radon-prone location (it’s worth checking this online if possible), and it tends to be worst in basements, but from your situation, it sounds like it will be in a bedroom or other room instead. The AirThings device is also much more expensive, and I am not a big fan of the device (it’s expensive and lacks lots of more advanced features).

Me, too, which is why I agreed to work with them. They’re extremely transparent, and they have people dedicated solely to the science side, which I think is very important. However, for me the most important aspect is that I’m free to speak my mind and even encouraged to publically highlight issues with the monitors if I find them.

I can understand your concern - they’re not cheap devices! Personally, I wouldn’t worry too much about the monitor itself, as even if there is an issue with any component, it’s all very easy to replace (and the sensors could likely be sourced locally). However, shipping and inspections are another matter altogether…

I’m unsure if a warranty would even cover these situations, however, as that would be on the shipper’s side, I imagine. If the warranty also covers shipping, then I think that is probably the safer route (and you can still replace parts if needed later down the line after the warranty expires).

I’ve been very interested in this monitor, but I haven’t yet had a chance to try it myself. However, looking at the specifications, these would be my thoughts:

Apollo has a slightly better PM sensor (SEN55) than AirGradient, but AirGradient’s is corrected, so they likely provide similar readings. I mention this issue in this post (which discusses the SPS30 but which performs very similarly to the SEN55). At the end of the day, I think the PM sensor in the Apollo is better and has a longer lifespan.

On the other hand, I prefer the CO2 sensor in the AirGradient monitor (the SenseAir S8) and still trust traditional NDIR more than photoacoustic NDIR (which the SCD40 in the Apollo Air-1 is). While both are accurate, the latter is influenced more by temperature and humidity. Regarding sleep, I don’t think it will matter as the Apollo device uses a photoacoustic CO2 sensor (fully enclosed), and the AirGradient device’s sensor sits near the top of the device and is hidden. I have an AirGradient monitor in my bedroom, and I’ve never noticed the light emissions.

I really like the Apollo Air-1’s small form factor, too. So, if that’s important to you, that could be the better choice.

Of course, I am slightly biased, but I personally would opt for the AirGradient ONE as I appreciate their science and research focus. I also like the non-Home Assistant dashboard, which I’m not sure if Apollo offers.